This pot roast recipe is the perfect dinner to put in the slow cooker in the morning on a busy day. It’s sure to hit the spot at the end of a long day and it takes very little time to throw together!
This is a decadent dish and is best when the chuck roast is seared on both sides before being placed in the slow cooker. This caramelizes the natural sugars in the meat and forms a rich brown crust that will elevate the rich, savory flavors.
I prefer to add mushrooms to my pot roast, but that’s optional. They add a really nice meaty, earthiness to the gravy, so I prefer to throw them in every time.
Be sure to warm your slow-cooker before placing the meat inside so the meat doesn’t sit at a low temperature for very long.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pounds chuck roast boneless and trimmed of excess fat
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound Yukon gold or russet potatoes halved or quartered
- 1 pound carrots chopped (baby carrots can work too)
- 1 package Mushrooms sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup vegetable, chicken, or beef stock (low or no sodium)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour optional – for a thick gravy
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Season meat with kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium high heat. Sear meat for 5-6 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove and place directly in heated slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with stock and scrape all the stick on bits. Add flour if you prefer (this is optional)
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, mix together balsamic, Dijon, brown sugar, and thyme.
- Add onions, carrots, and potatoes on top of the meat in the slow cooker. Top with balsamic mixture and stock from the pan.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Shred meat and remove fat. Mix and then serve with parsley as garnish.
Follow my blog page to be notified when I post new recipes! To find more videos, recipes, and cooking tips, checkout my Facebook pages at https://www.facebook.com/MyWholeAndHappyLiving/ and https://www.facebook.com/laura.legge/
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my blog so I can continue to provide you with free content!
1 thought on “Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast”