Chicken Pot Pie – Eat now or Freeze for Later
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. All opinions are my own.
This chicken pot pie recipe has been my absolute favorite comfort food and freezer meal for years. I make this anytime I have company over because I know it’s sure to please (and I always get requests for the recipe after haha).
Freezer meals have been one of the best ways for me to save time and still be able to get a delicious and nutritious meal on the table on those crazy busy days. This pot pie recipe has never failed me, whether it was put in the oven right away, or pulled straight from the freezer to the oven. It does take more time from frozen but the taste is just as good, if not better, from frozen.
I feel like this recipe is also very basic and easy for beginners. The only note I want to make for the process is to make sure you add the broth and milk slowly to the roux (flour and butter mixture), about 1/2 cup at a time, and stir it in completely before adding more liquid. This will ensure no lumps of flour remain in the filling.
I’ve made homemade crust and I’ve bought store-bought frozen crusts for this recipe and I can say that there’s no difference in my opinion. If you don’t have the crusts on hand, you can whip up a basic crust if you like and that’ll work just fine. If you have the bottom crusts but no top, you can top your pie with mashed potatoes, if you have them (or you can whip up some).
I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Chicken Pot Pie (Freezer Friendly)
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 10-12 oz Mixed Vegetables, frozen (1 bag)
- 6 each Gold Potatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Flour Or Flour Substitute
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 3 1/2 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 1/3 cup Milk
- 2 each Double Pie Crusts, pre-made/frozen or homemade
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare/thaw pie crusts and set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine cubed chicken, vegetables, and potatoes. Add water to cover and boil for 12-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat, strain, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter until translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to form a paste.
- Slowly mix in chicken broth and milk, about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir and bring to boil for one minute or until sauce thickens. Stir in chicken and veggie mixture.
- Pour filling into pie crusts. (If you have any filling leftover, you can eat this for lunch the next day!)
- Cover with top crusts, seal edges, and cut away excess. Make 2-3 small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake until thermometer reads 165 degrees or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly – about 45-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!